Steps to Take After a Car Accident
Experienced Jacksonville attorneys who fight for your rights
Getting into a car accident can be a very frightening experience. Nobody expects to be involved in a crash when they are on the road. But it only takes one negligent driver to cause an accident. Suddenly your car is wrecked and you may be injured. Now what? Most people don’t know what to do next.
There are steps you can take after a car accident that can protect you in different ways. First, it’s important to take steps to protect your health and the health of everyone involved in the crash. Other steps can help protect your right to seek financial compensation as the insurance company considers your claim.
Here’s what you need to do after a car crash:
- Check yourself, your passengers, and everyone involved for serious injuries sustained in the crash requiring immediate medical attention.
- Get yourself and others to a position of safety.
- Call the police and wait for them to arrive (unless your injuries require immediate transportation to the hospital by ambulance)
- Fully cooperate with law enforcement and write down the contact information for the responding officer.
- Take photographs to document the scene, the vehicles, and the damage.
- If you are able, exchange insurance information with the other driver and note the names and contact information of witnesses who observed the crash.
- Get examined by a medical professional as soon as possible. Many times, car accident injuries are not apparent right away, and it is not unusual for severe injuries to manifest in the days following a crash.
- Inform your insurance company about the crash and resulting property damage, but be cautious and avoid giving a recorded statement until you have spoken with an attorney.
- Seek legal advice from an experienced attorney regarding your rights and options.
The infographic below discusses different steps you should take after your accident if you are able.
Talk to an attorney as soon as possible
At the Law Firm of Pajcic & Pajcic, we know you probably have a lot of questions following your crash. Our attorneys are ready to meet with you to discuss your options for recovering financial compensation. We can review the details of your accident and give you the information you need to decide what to do next.
The amount of car accident compensation you can receive depends on many different factors. While many claims are resolved through a negotiated settlement, you may need to file a lawsuit and pursue your case in court. We can go over your case in more detail when we meet.
Our firm has more than 400 years of combined legal experience. Since our founding in 1974, we’ve helped countless victims of car accidents fight back against insurance companies to recover the financial compensation they need and deserve. We build strong cases and we know how to get results.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Click here to download printable version.