Jacksonville, FL Records 100th Traffic Fatality of 2023
A recent report by News4JAX reveals that Jacksonville suffered its 100th traffic fatality of the year. This grim milestone includes a significant number of fatal bicycle and pedestrian accidents, underscoring the city's concerning traffic death toll and the need to hold negligent drivers accountable.
"According to data from the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, in the first 206 days of the year, 100 people were killed in traffic crashes in Jacksonville — that's about one every other day in Duval County alone," News4JAX reported.
The report says that the 100th death occurred in late July when a cyclist was fatally struck by a car on Emerson Street near I-95.
Overall, there have been 14,831 car accidents resulting in 9,550 injuries so far this year in Jacksonville, according to the latest accident data compiled by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV).
Fatal traffic accidents in Jacksonville
While various types of car accidents occur daily in Jacksonville, pedestrian accidents and collisions involving cyclists are notably prevalent. As we wrote about in June, Jacksonville recently earned the unfortunate distinction of being the nation's third deadliest large city for cyclists.
Pedestrian safety is also a critical concern in Jacksonville. In 2017, the city initiated a plan to eliminate fatal accidents involving pedestrians and cyclists by 2030. However, the city still has substantial progress to make in achieving this goal.
So far this year, there have been 192 bicycle accidents caused by motorists, resulting in four bicycle fatalities in Jacksonville. Simultaneously, pedestrian accidents have surged to 271 occurrences this year alone, contributing to 18 pedestrian fatalities in Jacksonville, based on records from the FLHSMV.
Are traffic deaths higher this year in Jacksonville?
Should the current rate of traffic fatalities continue at the same pace throughout the remainder of this year, Jacksonville is poised to witness an unfortunate rise in traffic-related deaths in 2023 compared to the previous year.
In 2022, the city recorded 158 motor vehicle accident fatalities. If the pace observed during the first 206 days of this year maintains over the remaining 159 days, Jacksonville would experience a total of 177 car accident fatalities, an increase of 12 percent compared to 2022.
Why are there so many crashes?
Car accidents in Jacksonville happen from many of the same underlying causes as those observed nationwide. Noteworthy contributing factors to collisions in Jacksonville include:
- Drunk driving: This reckless behavior led to 66 car accident fatalities in Jacksonville in 2021, as corroborated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Speeding: Responsible for 13 traffic fatalities in Jacksonville in 2021, speeding emerges as a substantial concern, particularly in terms of its heightened risks for pedestrians and cyclists sharing the roads.
- Distracted driving: Including texting while driving, distractions divert the driver's attention away from the road and increase the risk of a crash.
- Reckless driving: This encompasses violations such as failing to stop at stop signs or running red lights, actions that significantly heighten the likelihood of accidents.
- Aggressive driving: This behavior involves tailgating and following vehicles too closely, often leading to rear-end collisions, which can be particularly dangerous.
Legal help for crash victims and their families
At Pajcic & Pajcic, our attorneys are advocates for justice and are dedicated to helping crash victims find their way forward. Since 1974, we have been at the forefront of handling complex accident and wrongful death cases in Jacksonville and beyond. Our commitment to excellence, compassionate approach, and unwavering determination to secure fair compensation for our clients are what set us apart.
If you were injured or a loved one died in an accident, we can help you every step of the way. We consistently obtain sizable settlements and verdicts – and we have the case results to prove it. Learn more about your potential legal options. Contact us today for a free case evaluation to see how we can help you.